His small team is nothing short of extraordinary: "Wayne Kurtz is our de facto race director -- he actually ran 30 full Ironmen over 30 straight days," says Gleason. I'll serve as co-pilot and Bill Thompson, ultra-runner extraordinaire, will be my wingman. He ran across the entire state of Tennessee for no particular reason."
When the alarm rings, they will lace up their running shoes and strap on head lamps. Starting somewhere between 1 and 2 a.m., they will track their miles by Garmin and finish long before the city wakes. And afterwards, they are planning to go to work.
Gleason is not a quitter. In addition to medaling in marathons, he has completed over 70 ultramarathons. His "never say die" attitude got him through four 135-mile crossings of the Mojave Desert in unbearable heat and Big Foot, an excruciating 200-mile race through mixed terrain across the Cascade Mountains in Washington State.
More on The PennZone
- Study shows the state of hotel cleanliness in Europe. Which countries are best for booking hotels that are clean?
- Kupper Mounts Vacuum-Powered, Suction Cup Bike Racks Now for Sale Now through Shopify & KupperMounts.com for Customers Living in the United States
- New live video network for students enhances college social life and campus entertainment
- Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf to Sen. Toomey: Please Remember Your Precedent, Wait to Confirm a New Supreme Court Justice
- Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf Vetoes Bill that Ignores Dangers of Climate Change
That perseverance also came into play a few years ago, when debilitating knee pain knocked Gleason off course. Several physicians told him knee replacement was necessary, and he would never run again. After searching high and low, he found Richard Berger, M.D., an orthopedic surgeon at Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, who performs joint replacement without cutting muscles, ligaments or tendons. Because of this, the recovery is faster with less scar tissue build up. That means within months, athletes like Jeff can return to their sport. In fact, three months post-surgery, Jeff completed the Pittsburgh Half Marathon. In hindsight, he says, "I could have done the whole [26.2], but my wife would have killed me."
In addition to the Pittsburgh Marathon, Jeff was planning to complete his 30th 100-miler ultra in New Jersey—which was also cancelled. But even with no foreseeable races in his future, he found a silver lining. "Fortunately (or maybe not so fortunately)," says Gleason, "I have some friends who are crazy enough to run over 26 miles in the middle of the night."
Above all, Jeff is just happy to be running again—pain free. "There is a running God," he admits, "and his name is Dr. Berger."
SOURCE Jeff Gleason
Filed Under: Business
Latest on The PennZone
- Exact Solar Again Included in Inc. Magazine's Annual List of America's Fastest Growing Private Companies
- IntegraCare increases hiring, emphasizes 'happiness, joy' despite pandemic
- The Need for Greater Efficacy Drives Increased Switching from Branded TNF Inhibitors to Takeda's Entyvio, Janssen's Stelara, and Pfizer's Xeljanz in US Inflammatory Bowel Disease Market
- CompuData Recognized as Top Women owned Business in Philadelphia for 2020
- Redeemable Tax Deed Investing Workshop With The Tax Lien Lady on October 18, 2020
- Alpine Air Products — Your One-Stop-Shop For All Your Indoor Air Purification Needs
- NAPA Names Two Ascensus Regional Vice Presidents to 2020 100 Top Defined Contribution (DC) Wholesale
- Independent Presidential Candidate visits African American youth organization while in Philadelphia
- Center Valley Dentists Offering Dental Implants, Dental Crowns, and Other Cosmetic Dentistry
- Utopia p2p Releases CRP (Crypton) cryptocurrency on Crypto Exchanges
- Pioneer Bank Opts for Indoor Air Quality Upgrades Amid Pandemic Concerns
- CEO Coaching International Provides Clients Value through Powerful Weekly Virtual Networking Events on Zoom
- Brookside Equity Partners Makes Minority Investment in Advanced Solutions International (ASI)
- Net Health CEO Describes Company's Work from Anywhere Model at NARA Conference
- OncoBeta GmbH and Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation sign Letter of Intent to establish manufacturing site in Australia
- Patton Announces the World's Smallest, Lowest-Cost eSBC for SoHo and SME
- TVS Frontier Network Adds Classic Color Westerns to the Daily Schedule on Watch Your.TV
- QUByte Connect 2020 - Digital Event by QUByte Interactive
- Historic State Theatre Brings Stevie Nicks to Boyertown, Pennsylvania
- Gov. Wolf Thanks House Democrats for Protecting Pennsylvanians