"This is an unprecedented time for Pennsylvania and our nation as we face a major public health crisis and civil unrest during an election," said Gov. Wolf. "Voting is the cornerstone of our democracy and I want to ensure that voters can cast their ballot and that it is received in time."
The six counties included in today's executive order are part of a disaster emergency declaration the governor signed Saturday in response to civil unrest to provide all necessary assistance to the municipalities.
More on The PennZone
- HU Esports team advances to National Championship
- Clearwater Living Opens Clearwater at Sonoma Hills, an Assisted Living and Memory Support Community
- Jobsite Offers One Stop Place to Post Free Job Vacancies
- Joel Lindholm Head of CBRS LTE/5G at Facebook to Keynote the Connected Virtual Tech Event
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott Sacramento Airport Natomas, CA Opens
While the vast majority of counties have been able to process their applications and mail their ballots, the volume of applications in the six counties caused by the COVID-19 crisis combined with the recent civil disturbance make it necessary to extend the deadline for the counties to receive completed civilian absentee and mail-in ballots. Curfews, travel restrictions and other unforeseen circumstances have made returning ballots more difficult in these counties. The extension will help to ensure that voters in those counties are not disenfranchised through no fault of their own.
Mail-in ballots are new to Pennsylvania under Act 77 of 2019, which Gov. Wolf signed last year as part of the state's most sweeping election law improvements in 80 years. The law created the option of mail-in ballots with no excuse needed, along with later deadlines for voter registration and for returning mail-in and absentee ballots.
More on The PennZone
- TVS Micro Channels.Com Connect with Watch Your.TV For ROKU, Amazon, Android, and Apple Apps
- Jobisite Introduced A Simple Way to Post Job to Multiple Job Boards
- Lehigh Valley Orthodontist Offering Easton Braces for All-Inclusive Price
- Dental Implants from Springfield Dentist Start at $250
- Thiel College welcomes Pittsburgh university administrator Antonio Quarterman to Board of Trustees
Nearly 1.8 million Pennsylvania voters have applied for a mail ballot since the onset of COVID-19.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, in March the Pennsylvania General Assembly passed and Gov. Wolf signed Act 12 of 2020, which rescheduled the primary election from April 28, 2020, to June 2, 2020, to reduce crowding at polling places and encourage voters to use mail-in ballots.
The last time an executive order was utilized to extend the deadline to return absentee ballots was in 2012 due to Hurricane Sandy.
SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
Latest on The PennZone
- TVS Family Network.Com Signs On As 24/7 Streaming Ad Supported Channel on TVS TV Networks.Com
- Pennsylvania: Governor Wolf Signs Executive Order Authorizing Commonwealth Agencies to Conduct Remote Administrative Proceedings
- Pennsylvania: Administración Wolf: Usen máscaras para proteger y apoyar a las empresas locales
- Pennsylvania: Dashboard Data Confirms Need for Masking, Social Distancing
- Pennsylvania: Wolf Administration: Wear Masks to Protect and Support Local Businesses
- Pennsylvania: Wolf Administration Awards Nearly $19 Million for Homelessness Assistance and Prevention
- TVS-HiTopsNetwork.Com Adds Classic Cartoons to the classic kids post cable network from TVS
- Rare Tiffany Lamps and Windows, Webb Perfumes, Antique Canes, Rare Rolex 'Big Red' Daytona Among Predicted Stars of Morphy's July 14-15 Fine & Decorative Arts Auction
- News Asia: Shoutout Asia empowers fans to banter with their favourite celebs
- New Partner at Itero Group Signals Continued Growth
- Pennsylvania: Wolf Administration Releases Updated FAQs for Summer Recreation, Camps and Pools
- Wolf Administration Reminds Pennsylvanians to Wear Mask While Enjoying the Outdoors
- Garage Door Repair Austin TX Announces Its Garage Door Cable Repair Service
- Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf Announces Protections from Foreclosures and Evictions Through Aug. 31
- Garage Door Repair Austin TX Announces Garage Door Tracks Repair Service with the Latest Tools
- Travel + Leisure Readers give San Miguel De Allende a reason to Celebrate as it ranks in World's Best Awards
- TVS Flashback Network.Com Adds 100 Color Classic TV Shows to the Ad Supported Post Cable Network
- MULTI-FUN project aims to enable multi-materials metal additive manufacturing for complex 3D parts without size constraints
- CompuData Recognized on the 2020 VAR 100 List from Accounting Today
- Sage Intacct Names Alta Vista Technology a Premier Partner