"There is no more important focus of my administration than giving all children and families a strong start," Gov. Wolf said. "By expanding access to evidence-based home visiting programs, we will put more kids, parents and families on a path to a healthy, happy future."
Since 2015, investments totaling nearly $16.5 million in state funds have helped increase the number of children and families who can receive home visiting supports in communities around Pennsylvania. Guaranteeing a minimum of two home visits to all first-time mothers and mothers of children with special needs through Medicaid continues this work.
"Being a parent can be a challenge for anyone," said Secretary Miller. "Because children don't come with an instruction manual home visiting programs create support systems for families to learn to better understand children's needs, monitor milestones, and identify other opportunities for support that can continue to facilitate healthy long-term growth. A home visitor can be a major resource for parents to bond with their child(ren) and create bridges to success in early childhood and primary education."
More on The PennZone
- Automation Devices Adds New, Versatile Fork Rhino to Product Line
- Pennsylvania: Wolf Administration Awards $1.5 Million in Grants for Opioid Use Disorder Criminal Justice Diversion Programs
- SAM9000 AI Project Management App adds Document and Email Management, now available in full release
- Teresa Osborne Named Manager of Advocacy and Outreach for AARP Pennsylvania
- Dental Implants in Reading are Replacing Missing Teeth
The home visiting expansion is effective January 1, 2020 through the MCOs' 2020 agreement. Under the new agreements, MCOs will be required to establish an evidenced-based, standardized maternal, infant and early childhood home visitation program for all first-time parents and parents of infants with additional risk factors. All parents and children identified through this effort will receive at least two home visits at no cost, and depending on need, may be referred to other established home visiting programs to continue these services. DHS expects that these programs will be in place with eligible new parents receiving home visiting services s by July 1, 2020.
Evidence-based home visiting family support programs have a family-centered focus and strength-based approach that works with both the child and parent. A home visitor can help parents gain the skills and connect to resources necessary to improve their family's health, safety, economic security, and success in early childhood education. Studies of various nurse-family partnership programs have shown positive impacts for the mother and baby during pregnancy and after birth, such as a decrease in domestic violence and smoking during pregnancy, a significant decrease in pre-term births, and a majority of babies being born at a healthy weight.
Home visiting can also improve parents' child development knowledge and skills, help develop social support systems, and improve access to education, health, and community services. Examples of services include:
More on The PennZone
- Symplast Welcomes Former AtlasKPI Executive Randy Torban as Head of New Practice Analysis Department
- Global Sales Expert and Former Xerox Executive Joins CEO Coaching International
- First Connecticut Office Building Tokenized
- LaTribuna Christian Publishing Reports on The Good News of John 3:16
- Telliant Systems Expands Digital Software Technology Outreach with Sponsorship at The TAG Summit in Atlanta
• Regularly scheduled home visits with trained family development specialists;
• Monthly parent meetings; and
• Routine screenings to identify post-partum depression and detect potential problems with vision, hearing, growth, and learning age-based milestones.
Gov. Wolf is committed to helping the youngest Pennsylvanians. In September, his Ready to Start Task Force released its report, including two priorities tied directly to home visiting: to "increase availability of high-quality childcare and home-visiting service slots" and to "promote education, engagement, and support of parents and families as children's first teachers."
"This significantly expanded access to home visiting truly helps to fulfill our mission for increasing the ways to help our youngest residents get a strong, focused beginning," Gov. Wolf said.
Read the Ready to Start Task Force report.
For more information on home visiting programs, visit dhs.pa.gov.
SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
Latest on The PennZone
- A.R. Rahman Begins Recording "Hands Around the World" song to fundraise against climate change, in Los Angeles
- Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. is Helping Victims of Jehovah's Witness Sexual Abuse
- Califia and the Timeless Sentries Episode II "Legacies" Streaming Now on YouTube!
- Enabling next-gen architectures: TE Connectivity showcases data and power connectivity solutions at OCP Summit
- Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf Announces Multi-Generational Manufacturing Apprenticeship Opportunities in Susquehanna County
- Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf Announces New Funding to Repair 10 Hazardous Dams
- Virtual Reality Applications in Real Estate - March 12
- Philadelphians Donate Time and Skills During Martin Luther King Jr.'s Day of Service
- Tullish & Clancy Real Estate Rebrands
- Evolve IP Integrates Microsoft Teams with Cisco Voice Communications; Enhances Microsoft Teams Phone Systems and Ensures Business Continuity
- A Reliable Digital Marketing Agency for Website Developments and Social Media Management
- Regency DRT acquires Jacksonville Florida restoration company
- The Felix Organization Announces Camp Felix Pride at The Fresh Air Fund
- For Third Year in a Row, Yard Management Solutions Named 2020 MHI Innovation Award Finalist
- iMediate Inc Publishes Video Guide to Child Custody for Fathers and Mothers
- Beyond Spots & Dots Earns First PRSA Pittsburgh Renaissance Award
- Lehigh Valley Orthodontist Straightening Smiles with High-Quality, Low-Cost Braces
- INVESTOR ALERT: Law Offices of Howard G. Smith Continues Investigation of Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. (BBBY) on Behalf of Investors
- Castle Dental Offering the Lehigh Valley Dental Implants & Other Cosmetic Dentistry Services
- Airlite Plastics Co. Announces the Unification of its Arctic Fox Brand Into KODIAKOOLER®