- Author Ellen Gillette's new book "Joy in Yona Valley" is a story of a crisis of faith and finding love
- Bucks Happening Announces Happening Women
- National Flaunt Your Favorite Beach Towel Day – Sept 22
"I promised the people of Pennsylvania that I would make education and the future of our children a priority again for the commonwealth. And I have fought every day to do just that," Governor Wolf said. "This year's budget includes a massive investment in our kids, our schools and our future. It's also an investment that could free up local communities to reduce property taxes."
This year's budget alone includes a record $1.8 billion in education investments.
Speaking at Northwest Pennsylvania Collegiate Academy today, Governor Wolf recalled that proper funding for education was his top priority when he took office in 2015. That priority held true in this year's budget talks, resulting in:
- $525 million increase through the Fair Funding Formula. On average Pennsylvania schools will see their funding increase by 8 percent.
- $225 million increase for Level Up to provide targeted support to the 100 most in-need school districts, ensuring that every child in Pennsylvania has the opportunity to thrive and succeed through equal access to a high-quality education no matter their zip code.
- $100 million increase for Special Education.
- $79 million increase for Early Education through Pre-K Counts and Head Start.
- $220 million for public higher education.
The investment in education includes $850 million in recurring funding to allow school districts to invest in student learning while simultaneously cutting local property taxes.
More on The PennZone
- Eaton endorses Memorandum of Understanding for global commercial vehicle 'Drive to Zero' initiative
- Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf Highlights $1.75 Million Investment in Community at Braddock Carnegie Library Groundbreaking
- 8 Million Euros In Compensation Every Day — The Summer Of 2022 For Aviation Industry
- Governments Must Invest and Regulate to Reduce Energy Costs, Finds Pioneering EEIST Report
- Yet another EU country´s Data Protection Authority makes it official! Google Analytics is out!
Level Up, first funded in last year's budget, initially provided a $100 million equity supplement to the state's 100 most underfunded school districts. The 2022-23 budget increases Level Up funding by $225 million.
"Governor Wolf's commitment to Level Up funding is powerful recognition that inequity among Pennsylvania school districts must be addressed," said Kate Philips, Level Up Coalition spokesperson. "This funding, which slowly begins to level the playing field, temporarily eases the burden that superintendents, school boards, and educators – and students – in rural, urban, and suburban school districts are faced with every day due to chronic funding disparities."
Even before the 2022-23 budget was finalized, the Wolf administration had:
- Invested more than $1.9 billion in education from pre-k through college, including the largest single-year education funding increase in state history in 2021.
- Created the Level Up initiative to provide $100 million to the 100 most underfunded school districts.
- Established the Public School Fair Funding Formula to help address chronic inequitable and inadequate funding for school districts in the commonwealth.
- Invested $116 million in science, computer science and technical education, including $80 million in the innovative PAsmart program, and $36 million in apprenticeships and workforce training.
- Modernized standards for science education.
- Invested more than $130 million in School Safety Grants to make schools and school communities safer.
- Reduced the age when students must start school to 6 and raising the high school dropout age to 18 to set students up for a lifetime of success.
- Launched first-of-its-kind "It's On Us PA" Campus Sexual Assault Prevention initiative to combat sexual assault and make colleges and universities safer.
SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
More on The PennZone
- Metro Sports & Entertainment Group Partners With, Lincoln University To Create Its First Esports Stem Education Lab & Content Studio At A HBCU
- Philip DeBerard IV Awarded Best Personal Injury Attorney on the Treasure Coast of Florida
- SCTE® Cable-Tec Expo® Celebrates Triumphant Return
- Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf Touts PA's Leadership in Clean Energy Transition at Global Forum in Pittsburgh
- INVESTOR ALERT: Law Offices of Howard G. Smith Announces Investigation of Schmitt Industries, Inc. (SMIT) on Behalf of Investors
Latest on The PennZone
- Affordable Dental Crowns in Southampton Found at DICE Dental
- How Google Grew and How To Grow With It
- Deadline Reminder: Law Offices of Howard G. Smith Reminds Investors of Looming Deadline in the Class Action Lawsuit Against Twitter, Inc. (TWTR)
- Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf: $297,000 in New Funding Awarded to Increase Electrical Worker Apprenticeships in Northeastern PA
- Global Experts on Clean Energy and the Built Environment Headline Workshop Hosted by Covestro THINC30, Green Building Alliance and partners
- The Merge Project Announces Merge Talk Series Featuring National Television Personalities Brian Custer and Erica Cobb in October Debut
- INVESTOR ALERT: Berger Montague Reminds Investors Of A Securities Fraud Action Against Palantir Technologies Inc. (NYSE: PLTR); Lead Plaintiff Deadline is November 14, 2022
- The Village at Rockville Announces Call for Older Adult Artists' Submissions for Inspire Your Heart with Art Show
- chromatic black™ Supports Next Generation of Black Creatives In Partnership with the 4th Annual Morehouse College Human Rights Film Festival
- Fila Manila Announces Expansion into Targets as First Filipino Food Product on Shelves
- Fulton Financial Corporation Declares Quarterly Common and Preferred Dividends
- Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf: PA Receives $240 Million to Improve Water Infrastructure
- Tulsa Christmas Parade Committee Announces Theme And New Santa Float Design
- Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf Announces $18.2 Million in New Funding for 130 Projects to Improve Infrastructure, Enhance Community Development, and Protect the Environment
- Exeter Orthodontics in Allentown Offers Traditional Braces and Invisalign Aligners
- Boulder Canyon Partners With Yellowbird Foods For Limited-Edition Habanero Kettle-Style Potato Chips
- National Lacrosse League Announces 2022-23 Schedule; Face Off Weekend Set for December 2-3
- Alta Smiles Offers New, Groundbreaking Hidden Orthodontic Treatment
- Union Grill Celebrates 30th Anniversary with Signature Dishes, New Online Features
- Artist Reincarnates Wedding Dresses for Exhibition