- LIGUORI ACADEMY- KRAVINSKY LITERACY PROGRAM FOUNDED BY PHILANTHROPIST, ZELL KRAVINSKY
- SIGLENT Technologies Expands the Addressable Frequency Range of its RF Instruments to Best Support Microwave Range
- KiwiQA chosen as the preferred testing vendor by Stone & Chalk, leading Australia-based innovation Start-up & scaleup hub
- Experts from around the world share strategies for roadmap on decarbonization
PITTSBURGH, Sept. 21, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- In the lead up to the Clean Energy Ministerial and Mission Innovation's Global Clean Energy Action Forum in Pittsburgh, dozens of international, national and regional experts in clean energy, green building and sustainable development today are convening at the daylong workshop, "Clean Energy, Climate and the Built Environment: Ensuring a Healthy, Just and Sustainable Future for All."
This pre-conference, interactive event is hosted by Green Building Alliance (GBA), Covestro THINC30, Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, United Nations Environment Programme and the Global Alliance for Buildings and Construction, and is being held at one of the greenest buildings in the world – Phipps.
To hear more from Covestro and Green Building Alliance leaders, check out this video: https://youtu.be/yuIZxM4NZJg
At the workshop, these and other well-respected thought leaders are sharing their expertise and ideas on decarbonizing all aspects of the built environment, which includes homes and workplaces, roads, bridges, tunnels and the vehicles that drive on them, and the water and electricity systems that deliver essential services.
Post-workshop, these solutions and strategies will be crystalized into a roadmap with recommendations for transitioning the built environment to clean energy – in Pittsburgh, across the country and around the world.
In a series of five sessions, the experts are examining the decarbonization of buildings, both existing and new construction, electrical grids, and manufacturing processes and supply chains using Circular Economy principles. In addition, clean energy, economic development and the need for a just transition that empowers and includes all people, as well as how built environment climate solutions can and are being financed are being explored.
Among the experts participating: Mark Radka, Chief of the Energy and Climate Branch, United Nations Environment Programme; Michal Drabik, Chief of Section, Economic Affairs, Sustainable Energy Division, United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE); Kevin Walker, CEO, Duquesne Light; Stefanie Held, Director, Sustainable Energy Fund, United Nations Development Programme; Chris Gearhart, Director, National Renewable Energy Laboratory Center for Integrated Mobility; Brandon Dennison, Founder, Coalfield Development; and Stacy Smedley, Executive Director, Building Transparency and Sustainability Director at Skanska. For the program agenda and list of all speakers, visit www.covestro.us/thinc30-summit.
"As the world seeks actionable solutions to rapidly address climate change, decarbonizing the built environment presents a tremendous opportunity for meaningful impact," said Jenna Cramer, President and CEO, Green Building Alliance. "With buildings and construction responsible for almost 40% of global energy-related carbon emissions and 36% of our energy use, transitioning the built environment to clean energy is critical. However, the solutions that are deployed must also honor and uphold social justice principles, because making this change will also touch the lives of the people who live, learn, work in, and enjoy our physical spaces."
More on The PennZone
- Statement Pursuant to Section 19(a) of the Investment Company Act of 1940: DEX
- Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf Signs Legislation Extending Authority of State Horse Racing Commission
- Gov. Wolf: More Than 1.7 Million Pennsylvanians Eligible for Relief on Student Loans
- Ironside Human Resources Announces Office Expansion Due to Rapid Growth
- Gov. Wolf Reminds Pennsylvanians to Explore Affordable Health Care Options through Pennie Ahead of Open Enrollment Period
"Industry plays a critical role in clean energy and climate solutions and Covestro, one of the world's leading chemical and polymer companies, plays a unique role in the built environment," said Rebecca Lucore, CSR and Sustainability, Covestro LLC. "Not only are our corporate complexes part of the built environment itself, but our products are used by many other built environment industries, including construction, automotive, furniture, electronics and energy. So, we have a two-fold opportunity -- to innovate and implement climate neutral production and operational processes and practices internally at our sites and, for our customers, to produce a portfolio of high-performance, climate neutral products that help them achieve their own sustainability goals. Today, we're working on both tracks."
"The built environment impacts all aspects of quality of life for citizens around the world. By bringing together global experts to share solutions on this topic, we can continue momentum towards wide adoption of high-performance building standards that will provide people with healthy, affordable, and efficient homes and buildings while drastically reducing emissions and climate impacts," said Charlotte Griffiths, Officer-in-Charge, Sustainable Energy Division of UNECE, which runs the High Performance Buildings initiative. "Buildings and the built environment remain highest priority for action by communities and by countries to deliver not only the Paris Agreement, but also the whole 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development."
"The growing energy use from inefficient buildings will impact us all, whether it be through delayed access to affordable energy services, poor air quality, or higher energy bills," said Mark Radka, Chief of the Energy and Climate Branch, United Nations Environment Programme. "Although the buildings sector is responsible for nearly 40 percent of energy use, it has opportunities that are amongst the most cost-effective climate measures, and these need to be taken up at scale. The transformation needed to decarbonize the buildings sector requires much more cooperation and coordinated leadership within the building sector. We are committed to supporting this."
"As the home of three of the greenest net-positive energy buildings in the world, Phipps is excited to provide a working example for attendees of CEM/MI of what good looks like. The built environment is a crucial arena for climate action, and we're honored to join with our partners in showing that long-term, regenerative approaches can result in buildings that are healthy for people and the planet," said Richard V. Piacentini, President and CEO, Phipps.
About Covestro LLC and THINC30:
Covestro LLC is part of the global Covestro business, which is among the world's leading manufacturers of high-quality polymer materials and their components. With its innovative products, processes and methods, the company helps enhance sustainability and the quality of life in many areas. Covestro supplies customers around the world in key industries such as mobility, building and living, as well as the electrical and electronics sector. In addition, polymers from Covestro are also used in sectors such as sports and leisure, cosmetics and health, as well as in the chemical industry itself.
More on The PennZone
- Aspirant Announces New Organizational Effectiveness Principal
- Evangeline M. Mitchell Named as the Recipient of the Bar Association of DC's 150th Anniversary Presidential Award
- Qurate Retail Group Names Scott Barnhart Chief Operating Officer
- Corrupt Nypd Official Captured On Camera
- Grammy® Nominated Duo Helen Bruner & Terry Jones New Single & Visuals For "At Dinner 32"
The company is committed to becoming fully circular and aims to become climate neutral by 2035 (scope 1 and 2). Covestro generated sales of around EUR 15.9 billion in fiscal 2021. At the end of 2021, the company had 50 production sites worldwide and employed approximately 17,900 people (calculated as full-time equivalents).
Covestro's THINC30 stands for transforming, harnessing, innovating, navigating and collaborating for a purpose-driven, sustainable future by 2030. Since 2017, Covestro has held 10 THINC30 summits, bringing together stakeholders across the board -- business, philanthropic, academic, nonprofit and government leaders, and students and teachers -- to address some of the world's most pressing issues, using the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs) as a framework. Our goal is to introduce and accelerate sustainable development and business practices, public-private partnerships and social innovation in order to advance the three pillars of sustainability --environmental, social and economic equity.
Find more information at www.covestro.us or www.covestro.us/thinc30-summit
About Green Building Alliance:
Green Building Alliance (GBA) positively transforms the world through the built environment to create a sustainable, healthy, and just future for everyone. As Greater Pittsburgh's authority on sustainable design, GBA drives the market for healthy communities while equipping designers, manufacturers, developers, and policymakers to catalyze systemic change. GBA manages the largest 2030 District in North America (the Pittsburgh 2030 District), and in 2019, established Pittsburgh as the 2nd International Centre of Excellence on High Performance Building in the world. GBA partners across Western Pennsylvania, with strategic alliances including the 2030 District Network, United Nations and International Living Future Institute.
This news release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Covestro AG. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Covestro's public reports which are available at www.covestro.com. The company assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.
+1 412 525 9330
Editor's Note: Follow news from Covestro on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CovestroUS
SOURCE Covestro LLC
Filed Under: Business
Latest on The PennZone
- Gov. Wolf's $25 Million State Child Care Tax Credit Will Support 221,000 Working Families in Pennsylvania
- Lincoln Financial Group to Report Third Quarter Earnings
- The Democracy Group launches fellowship for aspiring Gen Z podcasters
- Sydney Brachytherapy Group is the first private non-melanoma skin cancer clinic in Sydney to offer OncoBeta's Rhenium-SCT
- UnityLab Secures $4.5 Million Series A Funding to Accelerate Growth, Add Jobs and Expand Manufacturing Operations in Dushore, Pennsylvania
- PermaTherm Announces Panels Delivered Quickly Program
- ASI Hosts 24th Annual iNNOVATIONS Conference and Announces Award Winners
- Myonex Launches CTRx Europe, Central Pharmacy Network
- MolecuLight Point-of-Care Wound Imaging Devices Awarded Group Purchasing Agreement with AllSpire Health GPO
- Cantaloupe, Inc. to Delay Form 10-K Filing for Fiscal Year 2022
- Hundreds Walk For Recovery, Jobs A Solution
- The World's First Stuttering Mentalist - Johnathan Smith Is A Story Of Determination And Hard Work
- Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf Announces Deployment of PA-Task Force 1 to Support Hurricane Ian Response
- InHome Therapy Announces $22 Million Investment Led by TT Capital Partners to Fuel Growth and Expansion
- BEAR Technologies Successfully Completes 2022 SOC 2 Type II Audit
- Exterro Launches FTK® Suite 7.6, Introducing Mobile Parsing, Automation Capabilities, And Industry-First Remote Endpoint Triage
- Kitchen Magic Adopts Zero-Waste-to-Landfill Initiative
- Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf, Lt. Gov. Fetterman: Time is Running Out for People Interested in Quick Pardons through PA Marijuana Pardon Project
- AmerisourceBergen Announces Date and Time for Fourth Quarter Fiscal 2022 Earnings Release
- Re-Introducing Gigahurtz, DJ and Producer