Carbon dioxide is a harmful greenhouse gas and a major contributor to climate change, and this bill would have put a halt to DEP efforts to mitigate the impact climate change has on lives and livelihoods in Pennsylvania, including rulemaking currently being developed to allow Pennsylvania to join the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI). RGGI is an economically sound program that has a proven record of reducing greenhouse gas emissions in member states.
Higher temperatures, unseasonal changes in precipitation, and more frequent and more extreme storms – all adverse effects of climate change – have already been experienced in Pennsylvania, and we must take action now to prevent worse changes from further endangering Pennsylvanians. This bill ignores science, and would have hampered the ability of the DEP to protect Pennsylvanians.
Gov. Wolf's HB 2025 veto message:
"Addressing the global climate crisis is one of the most important and critical challenges we face. This legislation is extremely harmful to public health and welfare as it prevents the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (Department) from taking any measure or action to abate, control or limit carbon dioxide emissions, a greenhouse gas and major contributor to climate change impacts, without prior approval of the General Assembly. Like every state in the country, the Commonwealth has already begun to experience adverse impacts from climate change, such as higher temperatures, changes in precipitation, and frequent extreme weather events, including large storms, flooding, heat waves, heavier snowfalls, and periods of drought. Reductions in carbon dioxide emissions are even more significant now as emerging evidence links chronic exposure to air pollution with higher rates of morbidity and mortality from COVID-19.
More on The PennZone
- INVESTOR ALERT: Law Offices of Howard G. Smith Announces the Filing of a Securities Class Action on Behalf of Evolus, Inc. (EOLS) Investors
- DEADLINE REMINDER: Law Offices of Howard G. Smith Reminds Investors of Looming Deadline in the Class Action Lawsuit Against Pintec Technology Holdings Limited (PT)
- All of the "Favorite Brands" - Scrubs 2020
- INVESTOR ALERT: Law Offices of Howard G. Smith Announces Investigation of First American Financial Corporation (FAF) on Behalf of Investors
- TVS Inspirational Network Adds Faith Based Classic TV Shows to Post Cable Network
"This legislation also prohibits the Commonwealth from participating in the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI), a regional initiative among Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states to reduce greenhouse gas emissions while generating economic growth, unless additional legislation is enacted. RGGI participating states have reduced power sector carbon dioxide pollution by 45 percent since 2005, while the region's per-capita gross domestic product has continued to grow. By joining RGGI, Pennsylvania has the opportunity to make real progress on limiting climate change-causing carbon pollution while generating thousands of new jobs, providing for worker training, and offering future electric bill savings.
"In addition to the legislation's failure to address climate change, the immediate effect of this legislation would be to halt a rulemaking package I directed the Department to develop by executive order pursuant to the authority of the Air Pollution Control Act to abate, control, or limit carbon dioxide emissions from fossil-fuel-fired electric power generators. The Regulatory Review Act and the Air Pollution Control Act afford the opportunity for extensive public participation, including public comment and public hearings, in the rulemaking process. Members of the General Assembly also have a robust role in the rulemaking process, including through their appointments on advisory committees and the Environmental Quality Board. This legislation creates burdensome and duplicative processes that will thwart the Department's ability to take any action to regulate the greenhouse gas most responsible for climate change in the transportation, industrial, and commercial sectors, as well as the electric power sector.
More on The PennZone
- Pennsylvania: Wolf Administration Encourages Participation in National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day
- Why You Need to Toss Your Scrubs & Buy New
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Client Criterion HCM on Top Workplaces Title
- Ansys Receives Two TSMC Open Innovation Platform Partner of the Year Awards
- TomCat Films ignites the fireplace video category with 'My Fireplace Girl' series of DVDs and Streaming Videos
"The citizens of this Commonwealth cannot afford to wait any longer. Given the urgency of the climate crisis facing Pennsylvania, the Commonwealth must take concrete, economically sound, and immediate steps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Allowing this legislation to become law would effectively deny that climate change is an urgent problem that demands prudent solutions."
SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
Latest on The PennZone
- TVS Select Network to Fill Quibi Gap With Free Mobile Program Focus on WatchYour.TV Platform
- Dental Implants in Springfield Start at Only $750
- KDG Named a Top 2020 B2B Company by Clutch.co
- Freya Systems Takes Off As One Of Philadelphia100®'s Fastest Growing Companies
- Pharmaceutical Giant Mallinckrodt Bankruptcy Threatens Lawsuit Filed by Local Unions and Delaware Valley Health Care Coalition, Worth Hundreds of Millions of Dollars
- Longstanding Viera/Suntree brokerage Vista Florida Realty LLC merges with Dale Sorensen Real Estate, Inc
- Hilco Redevelopment Partners to Invest Hundreds of Millions of Dollars to Decommission, Demolish and Remediate the Former PES Refinery Site in Southwest Philadelphia
- Lehigh Valley Orthodontist Offering Braces in Easton for Only $3,995, No Hidden Fees
- Pennsylvania: Governor Wolf Announces $181 Million Investment in Water Infrastructure Projects in 12 Counties
- Michael Meyer Hosts Virtual Event on Communication
- TVS Television Network.Com Adds Iconic Classic TV Series For Post Cable Network Service
- BeBop Sensors' Forte Data Glove Adds Haptic Interaction Support for Oculus 2 and Unreal Engine
- LYRIC names Toni Newman as New Interim Executive Director and Jodi Schwartz as President
- Pennsylvania American Water President Mike Doran Joins Pittsburgh Works Together Board of Directors
- BitRouter Announces Dihedral Software Release for its ATSC3pro Receiver at NAB Show New York
- High School Responder President and Founder Barbara A. Grimm Announces the Launch of High School Responder™ and Appoints Fintech Pioneer Edwin P. Baldry as Chairman of the Board
- Radian to Webcast Third Quarter Conference Call
- Braeden Lichti - What's Next for the Healthcare Sector?
- Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon Dr. Patti Flint now offering sought-after lip lift procedure
- Entrepreneur, Investor Signs $100,000 Contract With Hotel To Host First Female Founders Pitch Summit Despite Pandemic