- LIGUORI ACADEMY- KRAVINSKY LITERACY PROGRAM FOUNDED BY PHILANTHROPIST, ZELL KRAVINSKY
- SIGLENT Technologies Expands the Addressable Frequency Range of its RF Instruments to Best Support Microwave Range
- KiwiQA chosen as the preferred testing vendor by Stone & Chalk, leading Australia-based innovation Start-up & scaleup hub
"It is completely unacceptable for a child to start the day hungry," said Gov. Wolf. "I'm taking hunger off the table for Pennsylvania kids by creating the Universal Free Breakfast Program. Regardless of whether or not they qualify for free or reduced meals normally, every student enrolled in public or private schools will have the opportunity to feed their belly before they feed their mind this school year."
The Universal Free Breakfast Program will go into effect on October 1, 2022 and run through the end of the 2022-23 school year. More than 1.7 million Pennsylvania children enrolled in public schools, intermediate units, charter schools, career and technology schools, and child care institutions that participate in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs will benefit from this state-funded program. The $21.5 million program is funded with prior year funding from the School Food Services General Fund appropriation. Interested schools that do not currently participate in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast programs can find information for applying on the Department of Education's website.
More on The PennZone
- Statement Pursuant to Section 19(a) of the Investment Company Act of 1940: DEX
- Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf Signs Legislation Extending Authority of State Horse Racing Commission
- Gov. Wolf: More Than 1.7 Million Pennsylvanians Eligible for Relief on Student Loans
- Ironside Human Resources Announces Office Expansion Due to Rapid Growth
- Gov. Wolf Reminds Pennsylvanians to Explore Affordable Health Care Options through Pennie Ahead of Open Enrollment Period
"We commend Gov. Wolf and the Administration for their dedication to a hunger-free Pennsylvania. Universal free school breakfast across Pennsylvania helps to ensure every student will start their day with a healthy, nutritious meal," said School Nutrition Association of Pennsylvania Communications Chair Melissa Froehlich. "Research supports that a well-nourished child who starts the day with breakfast is more likely to be at school, has improved concentration and is more willing to participate in the classroom. Universal free breakfast for all students in Pennsylvania will strengthen child nutrition programs and address equity and stigma around school breakfast so that more children will have access to nutritious meals and set our students up for success in the classroom."
From March 2020 through the 2021-22 school year, students were afforded free meals from school as a result of waivers approved by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. For two years, nearly 1 million students have eaten for free each year. Comparing the 2018-19 school year, when free breakfast was not universal, to 2021-22, when school was fully in-person and breakfast was universally free, breakfast consumption increased by nearly 16%. That is 16% of Pennsylvania children that would start their day hungry this year—and that is a number that Gov. Wolf would not accept.
More on The PennZone
- Aspirant Announces New Organizational Effectiveness Principal
- Evangeline M. Mitchell Named as the Recipient of the Bar Association of DC's 150th Anniversary Presidential Award
- Qurate Retail Group Names Scott Barnhart Chief Operating Officer
- Corrupt Nypd Official Captured On Camera
- Grammy® Nominated Duo Helen Bruner & Terry Jones New Single & Visuals For "At Dinner 32"
"As a parent and grandparent myself, I know that there is nothing more important than our kids," added Gov. Wolf. "This investment in free school breakfast for all is an investment in a better, healthier, happier life for our kids now and in the years to come."
Senator Lindsey Williams, Senate Educate Committee Chair and advocate for childhood nutrition, commended Gov. Wolf's Universal School Breakfast Program.
"It takes a village to tackle an issue as important and impactful as food security for our children. Keeping students fed, nourished, and ready to learn is vital to their health and education," said Sen. Williams. "These investments in school meals relieve the pressure on our families as grocery prices rise and ensure that all students can access nutritious food without shame or stigma. I'm grateful for all of the work being done to keep students from going hungry."
Gov. Wolf has served for two terms as a leader consistently at work for the people of Pennsylvania. Learn more about how his Priorities for Pennsylvania have fueled the commonwealth's comeback, leaving Pennsylvania in a much better place than when he arrived.
SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
Latest on The PennZone
- Gov. Wolf's $25 Million State Child Care Tax Credit Will Support 221,000 Working Families in Pennsylvania
- Lincoln Financial Group to Report Third Quarter Earnings
- The Democracy Group launches fellowship for aspiring Gen Z podcasters
- Sydney Brachytherapy Group is the first private non-melanoma skin cancer clinic in Sydney to offer OncoBeta's Rhenium-SCT
- UnityLab Secures $4.5 Million Series A Funding to Accelerate Growth, Add Jobs and Expand Manufacturing Operations in Dushore, Pennsylvania
- PermaTherm Announces Panels Delivered Quickly Program
- ASI Hosts 24th Annual iNNOVATIONS Conference and Announces Award Winners
- Myonex Launches CTRx Europe, Central Pharmacy Network
- MolecuLight Point-of-Care Wound Imaging Devices Awarded Group Purchasing Agreement with AllSpire Health GPO
- Cantaloupe, Inc. to Delay Form 10-K Filing for Fiscal Year 2022
- Hundreds Walk For Recovery, Jobs A Solution
- The World's First Stuttering Mentalist - Johnathan Smith Is A Story Of Determination And Hard Work
- Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf Announces Deployment of PA-Task Force 1 to Support Hurricane Ian Response
- InHome Therapy Announces $22 Million Investment Led by TT Capital Partners to Fuel Growth and Expansion
- BEAR Technologies Successfully Completes 2022 SOC 2 Type II Audit
- Exterro Launches FTK® Suite 7.6, Introducing Mobile Parsing, Automation Capabilities, And Industry-First Remote Endpoint Triage
- Kitchen Magic Adopts Zero-Waste-to-Landfill Initiative
- Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf, Lt. Gov. Fetterman: Time is Running Out for People Interested in Quick Pardons through PA Marijuana Pardon Project
- AmerisourceBergen Announces Date and Time for Fourth Quarter Fiscal 2022 Earnings Release
- Re-Introducing Gigahurtz, DJ and Producer